Tuesday

Arnolds Butterfly Haven

Arnold’s Butterfly Haven is an extension of the animal conservation and rehabilitation efforts of Arnold’s Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, located just north of Okeechobee, FL. Arnold’s Butterfly Haven is a half-acre, free-ranging butterfly garden in the shape of the Zebra Longwing, Florida’s State Butterfly. It contains over 2000 native larval and nectar plants, specific to indigenous butterfly species.

Unlike typical “staged and caged” gardens, in which butterflies are not only artificially introduced and contained, Arnold’s Butterfly Haven is an open-range, naturally occurring garden in motion, to which nearly 60 species of area butterflies are naturally attracted. There are also other exhibits of our wildlife center, including Florida panthers. 


© Carolyn Shafer
"It was very warm but the butterflies were out in droves, many different species...it was a good day for photographs."  -Carolyn Shafer


© Lou Ann Lindsay
"Loved it. I am learning so much about my camera." -Lou Ann Lindsay


© Maria Heffernan
"The meetup was very succesfull, I enjoyed exchanging ideas with the group. Good opportunity to take photographs." -Maria Heffernan 


© Nancy True
"This is a must do at least once a year. Lots of activity in the garden and plenty of room to shoot. Glad to revisit this location." -Nancy True 


© Janice Reynolds
"Hot, hot, hot! Which made the butterflies come out in droves. I got a few different species than the last time I went so I am a happy camper!" -Janice Reynolds


© J. Scott Kelly
"Fun time shooting all the butterflies. more critters then I expected! Will have to put this in the ANNUAL FILE! All the images look real good so far! After I get the next exhibit finished I'll post something if I got anything. Thanks to all that participated." -J. Scott Kelly